Saturday, December 30, 2006

Happy New Year Saddam

So, the US and UK governments have another murder on their hands, to go along with all the others. I'm not saying that Saddam Hussein was a nice man. I wouldn't have invited him to my new-years eve party, or anything. However, I believe that you can judge a country by how it treats it's prisoners, and ex-dictators are no exception.

State sponsored execution is the worst kind of murder, because it is carried out in cold blood, on a totally helpless enemy. Anyone who approves of it should watch Krzysztof Kieslowski's film A Short Film About Killing, which puts the point better than I can.

Some people will say that it was the Iraqi's who executed him, not Bush or Blair but as Riverbend says:

"...make no mistake about it, this trial and verdict and execution are 100% American. Some of the actors were Iraqi enough, but the production, direction and montage was pure Hollywood..."

Here in the UK, we don't have the death penalty, but that hasn't stopped bloggers, christians, and the media over here metaphorically rubbing their hands with glee at the fact that once again we've managed to outsource our executions to somewhere that does. I haven't provided a link to the christian, because it was my mum.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger _ said...

Do you think that the children of Saddam's victims should pay to house, feed and provide health-care for him in his old age?

I don't. I think execution is sensible in this case.

I agree with you that it is hypocritical to oppose capital punishment, then delight when someone else does the dirty work. But I think that the capital punishment is sometimes appropriate.

5:52 pm  
Blogger Sacerdoteuk said...

It's a valid point, but that's always the case in any society which doesn't have the death penalty. The problem in this case is that they've managed to turn an unpleasant tyrant into a martyr. I feel that the cost of that will far outweigh the cost of keeping him incarcerated. Still, we'll see.

11:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home